by : Johannes Lehmann, Stephen Joseph
by : Erina Sulistiani, Samsul Ahmad Yani
ISO 9001:2008 Certified
ISO 17025:2005 Certified
SEAMEO BIOTROP Thesis Research Grants
for Indonesian PhD Students
The SEAMEO Regional Centre for Tropical Biology invites Indonesian PhD students to apply for thesis research grants for 2014.
Objectives of the Thesis Grant
In general, the awarding of thesis research grants aims to increase the number of qualified human resources in higher learning institutions and government agencies where the grantees are affiliated with the expectation that they would contribute to the development of Indonesia in the area of tropical biology and natural resources management. The specific objectives are as follows:
- To provide PhD students the opportunity to work and be mentored by SEAMEO BIOTROP scientists on specific research areas that are mutually of interest to the students, their institutions, and the Centre;
- To produce quality research outputs related to tropical biology that would have direct application to address development concerns of Indonesia;
- To maximize the use of facilities and equipments available at SEAMEO BIOTROP for the grantees’ research; and
- To produce quality research papers for publication.
A PhD student could be eligible to apply for the thesis grant if he/she could satisfy the following requirements:
- Must be currently pursuing a PhD program in agriculture, forestry, natural resource management, and related sciences from any reputable university in Indonesia.
- Must have already completed his/her course work with an approved thesis research proposal and is ready to conduct the research.
- His/Her research topic must focus on any of SEAMEO BIOTROP’s major program thrusts, namely:
- Tropical Biology for Community Welfare
- Food and Feed Security and Safety
- Bio-energy Development
- Value Adding to Natural Products
- Pests and Diseases Management
- Biodiversity Conservation and Management
- Landscape Restoration
- Management of Tropical Ecosystem Functions and Services
- Tropical Ecosystems Health Monitoring
- poverty alleviation, and
- climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Duly completed Application Form which can be downloaded from www.biotrop.org
- Letter of application addressed to: Dr. Bambang Purwantara, SEAMEO BIOTROP Director;
- Recommendation letter from the Dean of Graduate School of the university where the applicant is pursuing his/her degree program;
- Thesis research proposal approved by the applicant’s Advisory Committee and Dean of Graduate School;
- Budgetary requirement of the thesis research with recommendation from the applicant’s major adviser and Dean of Graduate School;
- Certified copy of grades for all courses taken at the PhD level;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Applicant’s letter certifying that he/she is not receiving any other research grant from any other institution; and
- Plan of implementation of research activities
- The research proposals shall be subjected to external review by a committee that SEAMEO BIOTROP shall form following a set of criteria that the Centre currently uses as follows:
- Relevance of the Proposal (15%)
- Scientific Rigor of the Proposal Components (65%)
- Research Capability of the Proponent/s (10%)
- Feasibility of the Period of Implementation (5%)
- Budget Feasibility (5%)
- BIOTROP shall inform applicants whose research proposals have passed the initial screening of external experts by October 2014. They will also receive the results of the assessment and incorporate the comments and suggestions in their proposals where necessary upon consultation with their respective supervisors.
- Qualified applicants shall be called to present their proposals in a seminar at BIOTROP for second level screening with the BIOTROP Board of Directors and In-house scientists.
- Once all requirements are satisfied, the grantees will sign a contract with SEAMEO BIOTROP specifying his/her duties and responsibilities and expected outputs within the duration of the grant.
A grantee will be entitled to the following:
- Thesis research fund within the prescribed limit of BIOTROP-DIPA allocation
- Access to SEAMEO BIOTROP laboratory facilities and services
- Technical guidance from SEAMEO BIOTROP scientists
Application Period: March to May 2013
Applicants are advised to send the complete set of application documents to:
Dr. Jesus C. Fernandez
Deputy Director for Programs
Jln. Tajur Raya Km 6, Bogor 16134, Indonesia