Building the capacities of individuals and institutions in the government and private sectors remains a major mandate of SEAMEO BIOTROP through the following activities:
- Seminars and Workshops
- Meetings, Symposia and Conferences
The Centre offers trainings and other learning programs to a varied range of target participants. They are aimed at helping produce a cadre of improved human resources in Southeast Asia on various aspects of tropical biology that are capable of bringing innovation and growth in their areas of work toward contributing to the total sustainable development of their respective countries. The trainings and other learning programs are conducted either on fee-basis and/or under sponsorship and collaboration with relevant partners. Unless otherwise indicated, all training courses and other learning programs are conducted at SEAMEO BIOTROP's headquarter in Bogor, Indonesia.
All interested parties are required to submit the prescribed application form to SEAMEO BIOTROP, either through slow mail (SEAMEO BIOTROP, Jalan Raya Tajur Km. 6, Bogor 16134, Jawa Barat, Indonesia) or email through the designated coordinators. Application form can be downloaded from SEAMEO BIOTROP website. The Training Application Form are available in English and Indonesian.
The completed application form must be submitted at least 1 month before the start of any training courses/seminars/workshops for screening purposes. The specific deadlines are indicated in the respective learning activities. SEAMEO BIOTROP shall send acceptance letters to the qualified participants.
All training courses and other learning activities are open to all interested parties. However, priority is given to nationals of SEAMEO member countries, especially for sponsored courses. Those categorized as national training courses are exclusively for Indonesian participants only.
Interested parties must satisfy the following basic requirements for admission:
1. Have at least a B.Sc. degree, or its equivalent, related to the training.
2. Be proficient in spoken and written English for regional/international training courses.
3. Be in good health as certified by a physician.
4. Must have a regular appointment in the organization he/she is affiliated with.
Other specific requirements per training will come from the coordinators.
Training Course Design
1. Most, if not all, of the training courses are designed within a one-week duration.
2. Depending on the nature of the training course, training methods/activities usually consist of lecture-discussions, field trip/practicum, small group workshops, individual assignments and laboratory exercises. These training methods/activities are meant to address the knowledge and skills development needs of the participants on the subject matter of their interest.
3. Lecture notes and other training materials are provided to the participants during or toward the end of the training course, depending on the resource persons and on the nature of activities that the participants will undergo.
4. Participants are expected to produce specific individual and/or group outputs during and toward the end of the training course as requirements for completion. These outputs are meant to gauge the level of learning achieved by the participants as a result of their training attendance. The outputs could also serve as inputs to explore possibilities for future collaboration with the participants’ organization and SEAMEO BIOTROP, thus, sustaining training impacts.
5. SEAMEO BIOTROP training courses are meant to establish networks of professionals to sustain exchange of information and experiences, further develop knowledge based on the subject matters, and forge inter-organizational collaborations. Participants that would successfully complete any training courses, shall automatically be included in SEAMEO BIOTROP’s database of training alumni.
1. Unless otherwise indicated, all training courses are conducted at the SEAMEO BIOTROP's headquarter in Bogor, Indonesia. Participants are housed in dormitories inside the Centre's campus.
2. The medium for instruction for national training courses is Bahasa Indonesia and English for regional/international training courses.
3. Cancellation of participation shall be made by concerned individuals one week before the start of the training course through a formal letter to be submitted to SEAMEO BIOTROP, either via email to the designated coordinator (cc: email@example.com) or fax (+62 251 8326851). The letter must be addressed to the designated coordinator.
4. SEAMEO BIOTROP issues two types of training certificate depending on the compliance of the participants in undertaking the training course requirements as follows:
- Certificate of Completion for participants who have completed at least 80 percent training attendance and activities.
- Certificate of Completion for participants who have completed less than 80 percent of training attendance and activities.
5. SEAMEO BIOTROP has the right to cancel or postpone the implementation of any training courses, if the number of participants is less than 12. The Centre shall announce the cancellation or postponement of a training course at least 10 working days before the target date of implementation.